Friday, March 13, 2009

Facebook vs. Twitter

Facebook vs. Twitter who is going to win? I was reading the article "Will Facebook's Faster Feeds Make it the New Twitter?" by Abbey Klaassen on Advertising Age the other day http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=135079. I read it but hadn't seen any changes in Facebook but I knew they were coming since it is all about who will be faster and easier to get to on the Internet. And sure enough today I log onto my facebook page and my homepage is completely differnt then I remember it being yesterday.

At first I thought my computer didn't load my page correctly since it has happened before...but sure enough I have gotten a couple of notices from the Facebook creators about the new changes. Some of my friends have already made the comment on their status bar stating that they don't like Facebook's new layout. This seems to happen everytime the creators decide to change something, such as the layout, and people always complain about the changes and then they decide they like it. Anyway back to Facebook and Twitter.

The changes in the layout of Facebook this time where done so the marketers have more freedom but more importantly so the users can get more information about each other faster. I guess it just makes the "gossip page" as I call it more convient for all of those users who enjoy knowing what is happening in everyone's life all the time. I guess for those users a faster access to that sort of information is great, I read in a book once that since the Internet and faster technology continuously comes out we are becoming more and more impatient if we can't get to something with the click of a mouse. So I do understand the changes Facebook made.

As for Twitter, I am I guess you could say "a newer user." I am still getting to the hang of updating my status more and more. I don't do this regularly on Facebook so constantly updating my status on Twitter doesn't come easily to me. I check everyone else's updates often, about as much as I'm on my computer. I make my rounds to email, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn so I do chekc it often. I guess the thing I like about Twitter more than Facebook status updates is that on Twitter people will tell you when they have updated a blog you may be following or you may learn something about a topic you have been researching.

As for the competition between Twitter and Facebook, I don't know who will be on top or if they are even in the same category to be judged that way but I enjoy both. Facebook for more personal/friend updates such as pictures and people who write on my wall, and Twitter is in my eyes more of a professional networking update. No pictures just knowledge and information about what is happening in a more professional way.

No comments:

Post a Comment